A little history: the town of Bandon has burned to the ground twice in its history. The catastrophic fire in 1936 leveled all but two buildings in town. The hardy people of First Presbyterian vowed to rebuild their sanctuary within two years, and most of the work was done by volunteers. The foundation mortar was mixed using sand from the Bandon beach, the only material available to them at the time. With 75 years of wet weather, the mortar deteriorated, and it became evident that the building needed a new and stronger foundation. These photos document the huge project of replacing the foundation under our existing building, while also installing a residential-style elevator and properly-graded entries to make our building completely handicapped-accessible.