First Presbyterian Church was the first Protestant church established in Bandon, Oregon. It was founded on February 6, 1891 by the Reverend Eneas McLean, an avid servant of God who also organized several other congregations in “Coquille Country.”
While our work and worship has continued uninterrupted for 121 years, our physical location has undergone a number of changes. The church’s first building was destroyed by fire in 1912, and yet again in the devastating Bandon fire of 1936, in which all but two structures in the town were lost. The current building, located on the bluff above Old Town, was dedicated in 1940, underwent a major addition in the summer of 1957, and a major renovation in 2010-11. Both floors and all entrances are now fully handicapped-accessible.
For more information, history buffs may request a copy of 100 Years in Mission: First Presbyterian Church of Bandon, Oregon, 1891-1991. This thorough and interesting account was compiled and written by members Donna and Helen Young for the centennial celebration of the church’s ministry.